A Long Proud History
From its beginnings in 1885 as a school established for the education of the Cathedral’s choristers, St Andrew’s Cathedral School has grown and evolved throughout its history to become a modern, coeducational School with an excellent reputation that still retains the strong Christian values of its founders.
St Andrew’s Cathedral is central to the history of our School. Opened in 1868, the Cathedral is the building that unites generations of Andreans as the majestic setting for worship, assemblies and performances.
Dr Ben Waterhouse (former student and Old Andrean representative on the School Council) reflects on the history of St Andrews:
“…the other fundamental constant of the School remains; St Andrew’s is a caring School with a genuine heart for everyone who comes through its doors, reflecting the authentic Christianity it seeks to uphold.”
Evolving with the times
A walk back through time shows that St Andrew’s has embraced changing times while still retaining its fundamental Anglican values.
2010: St Andrew’s celebrates 125 years since its foundation and welcomes its 15th Head of School, Dr John Collier.
2009: St Andrew’s introduced the International Baccalaureate Programme.
2008: St Andrews became fully coeducational from Kindergarten to Year 12.
2007: In support of St Andrew’s commitment to the First Australians, Gawura, our Aboriginal and Torrres Strait Islander Campus opened.
2005: Our Junior School was expanded with the introduction of Kindergarten to Year 2 classes.
1999: With the historical and successful change to coeducation, girls joined the School for the first time, in the Senior College (Years 10-12)
1998: St Andrew’s Oval and other sporting facilities at Sydney University became home game and training grounds for our students.
1995: The 13th Head of School, Mr Phillip Heath, was appointed. In recognition of his leadership as Headmaster, the Phillip Heath Scholarship Fund was set up when he left in 2009.
1992: The Bishop Barry Centre Senior College opened in Druitt Street.
1987: The Kirrikee Outdoor Education Programme commenced with the purchase of 88 hectares of land in Penrose Forest, Southern Highlands.
1979: Dr Alan Beavis, a former pupil of the School, was appointed as the 12th Head of School where he served until 1995.
1976: After 13 different homes since 1885, the School opened the newly-built St Andrew’s House, Sydney Square.
1967: The academic programme was expanded to allow students to graduate from School in Year 12 and complete their HSC.
1941: In 1941 the 11th Headmaster, the Reverend (later Canon) Melville Cooper Newth, was appointed by Archbishop Mowill. Canon Newth served as Headmaster for 38 years and in 4 different locations.
1929: In 1929, the School first began to make use of St Paul’s Oval at Sydney University, which it continued to use for the next 20 years. Prior to this, sport had been played in the Sydney Domain.
1900: By 1900 St Andrew’s was a small School of around 50 boys. Classes were taught in a variety of church halls around the City.
1885: St Andrew's Cathedral School opened on 14 July 1885 in the St Andrew's Schoolroom in Pitt Street. The School was founded by Bishop Alfred Barry.
It was established to provide the Cathedral choristers with a high-class education on Church principles, in addition to their musical training. From the first group of 27 students, 22 of the boys were Choristers. Cathedral Choristers received free education and other boys, were charged a sum of 3 guineas.
Bishop Barry advocated an education which was liberal and included the humanities and subjects of technical and cultural value, and scientific interest. The syllabus of the School offered tuition in Divinity, Greek, Latin, French, Music and Sports.
The School motto ‘Via Crucis, Via Lucis’ (The Way of the Cross is the Way of Light”) was given to the School by the first Archbishop of Sydney, Dr Saumarez- Smith.