Three SACS students won medals at the Australian Athletics Championships in March 2017. Darcy Holmes (Year 8, pictured), Matthew Butler (Year 9) and Susie Douglas (Year 11) were among a group of five SACS students representing NSW at the championships in Homebush.
Darcy won gold in the under 15 high jump with a clearance of 1.65m. He was the only competitor to clear all first attempts up to the winning height, which clinched him the gold as both second and third also cleared 1.65m (but had recorded some misses at lower heights). It is Darcy’s first national title. He also finished 15th in the triple jump.
Matthew won bronze in the under 15 shot put, throwing 13.86m. He also finished sixth in the hammer throw.
In other results, Hugo Whitehead (Year 12) finished fifth in the 200m, while Caelan Shaw (Year 12) was eighth in the gruelling 10-event decathlon. It should be remembered that these are results from the best athletes across the country!
• Darcy Holmes: High Jump 1.65m – 1st!
• Darcy Holmes: Triple Jump 9.51m – 15th
• Matt Butler: Hammer Throw 42.21m – 6th
• Matt Butler: Shot Put 13.86m – 3rd
• Susie Douglas: 100m Hurdles (Heat) 15.19s – 3rd in heat (12th overall)
• Susie Douglas: 400m Hurdles (Final) 63.70s – 2nd
• Hugo Whitehead: 100m (Heat) 10.93s – 3rd in heat (12th overall)
• Hugo Whitehead: 200m (Heat) 21.79s – qualified 7th fastest into final
• Hugo Whitehead: 200m (Final) 21.91s – 5th
• Caelan Shaw: Decathlon 4847 points – 8th