It is the role of the Specialised Learning Team to work closely with teachers, students, parents and outside professionals to cater for the individual needs of students.
The team also works closely with the Head of Careers and Pathways and our school psychologists. This collaborative approach ensures communication and sharing where parents and professionals work together, supporting each other to provide a learning environment that is differentiated and accessible.
This team is led by the Head of Specialised Learning, Mrs Tammy Campbell, and in the Middle School comprises of Ms Heaven Lee (EAL/D), Specialised Learning Teachers Ms Ashleigh Maihi (Years 7-8) and Mr Rodrigo De La Hoz (Year 9), Mr Matthew Hammond (Aboriginal Education mentor), and Teacher’s Aides Mrs Roberta Viant (Years 9-10), Ms Emily Clear (Years 7-8) and Ms Laura Belfanti (Years 9-10).
Services provided by Specialised Learning in the Middle School may include:
- In-class support
- Diagnostic screening
- The development of Student Learning Plans (ILPs)/Individual Adjustment plans (IAP’s)
- Targeted intervention plans
- Parent information sessions
- Professional development sessions to enhance teacher skills and understanding
- Assistance with the modification of curriculum and assessment
- Learning transition programmes
- Collaborative planning and liaising with teachers, students, parents and outside professionals
- Disability Provisions Applications for the Higher School Certificate
- Collection of data to access Commonwealth funding (NCCDSWD) determining appropriate adjustments for students with disability
- Collection of data to access Commonwealth funding (NCCDSWD)
- Provision of social skills groups (lunchtimes)
- SACSAchieve – after-school study and homework support
Middle School Study Centre
The Study Centre is an optional study programme offered after school three afternoons a week at an additional cost. It helps students who are hampered by poor organisational skills and poor study habits to develop a consistent approach to study. Attention to these issues in a small group environment that is multi-disciplinary in focus helps to overcome these problems. Staff assist in the delivery of the programme, providing advice on appropriate methods of response to tasks, advising on research techniques and the appropriate use of technology to present work.
Our Middle School Study Centre is designed to cater for a diverse range of needs. It offers our students a structured time for academic work.
Sessions are held on Monday, Tuesday and Thursday afternoons from 3:30-5:30 in the SAH Middle School Library on Level 4. Sometimes students with considerable academic potential can be hampered by poor organisational skills and poor study habits. Attention to these issues in a small group environment that is multi-disciplinary in focus helps to overcome these problems. Other students are highly motivated and wish to improve their academic standing.
We offer all students the opportunity to receive free additional support after school for the completion of homework, assignments, essays or research.
The afternoon sessions also provide a quiet, supervised study space for students who want to read or do research. It runs all year-round during term time, except during examination weeks.
We have three stage-based SacsAchieve homework clubs for Year 7-9, Year 10 and Year 11-12, run two afternoons each, per week.
You may be interested in