Role of the School Council
The government and management of St Andrew’s and Gawura schools is overseen by the School Council, which has responsibility for:
- Goal-setting and long term planning
- Selection, appraisal and pastoral care for the Head of School
- Budget control and financial management
- Political matters, promotion and public relations
- Finance: fee structure, fund-raising policy and government grants
- Industrial relations: provision of remuneration and conditions
- Provision of land, buildings and other capital improvements
- Maintenance and provision of resources and equipment
- Legal matters
School Council delegates authority to the Head of School to manage the daily operation of the school and the implementation of policy. It also delegates authority to committees to allow various matters to be researched and discussed prior to consideration by School Council.
School Council committees (not including those that are ad hoc in nature) are:
- Strategy and Vision Committee
- Finance and Risk Committee
- School Governance Committee
- Academic Improvement Board
Members of the School Council
Members of the St Andrew’s Cathedral School and Gawura School Council have been drawn from a cross-section of professional backgrounds. Each brings a unique set of skills to the school, reflecting the diversity of our student body. The appointed members on School Council and two ex officio members include:
- Rev Kanishka Raffel (Chairman of School Council): Kanishka is Dean of St Andrew’s Cathedral.
- Ms Felicity Brazel: Felicity is a current parent, operates an interior design business, and has previous career experience in investment management, economics and market research.
- Rev Caitlyn Orr: She is the Assistant Minister at Redfern Anglican (which has a high proportion of Aboriginal members) and spends much of her time ministering to young people. She also works part-time on Global Anglican Future Conference (GAFCON) matters with Dr Peter Jensen.
- Mr Marcus Judge: Marcus was a senior executive for a global financial institution and has over 20 years’ pro-bono experience in strategy, governance, financial management and leadership development.
- Mr Ray Jarratt (Chairman of Strategy and Vision Committee, Deputy Chairman of School Council): Ray is a Strategic Planner and Website Developer.
- Pastor Ray Minniecon: Ray is an Aboriginal Elder and Pastor.
- Dr John Scott (Chairman of the Academic Improvement Board): John is a retired Principal of two Anglican schools in Sydney.
- Mrs Kathryn Thompson: a current parent.
- Dr Ben Waterhouse (Chairman of Finance and Risk Committee): Ben is a statistician and a St Andrew’s graduate from the early 1990s.
- Dr Jillian Wheeler: Jill is a former school parent who works in private practice as a General Practitioner.
- Caroline Clark: Caroline’s background is in the study of politics and theology. She has worked in the finance sector and is currently a part time chaplain at Moore Theological College. Caroline has four children at SACS spread across the Junior School, Middle School and Senior College.
- Michael Gordon: Michael heads a functional unit at Citibank, and is a member of St Thomas’ Anglican Church North Sydney and is a Board Member of the Sudan Inland Mission. He is a SACS graduate, and has a son in Year 5 in our Junior School.
- Rev Craig Roberts: Craig is CEO of Anglican Youthworks. He is an ordained minister and Chartered Accountant with over 15 years of school governance experience. He and his family attend Roseville Anglican Church.
Ex Officio Members
- The Archbishop (President), the Right Reverend Dr Glenn Davies
Members of St Andrew’s Cathedral School staff who attend Council Meetings
- Dr John Collier (Head of School)
- Ms Nicola Warwick-Mayo (Executive Director of School Services)
- Mr Brad Swibel (Deputy Head of School)