“Honest and integrous”, “grounded, with a rare sense of humility”, “agile, inter-dependent thinkers – they don’t feel like they need to fit into any stereotype,” “they are just, full of life!” That is how St Andrew’s Cathedral School students have been described to me. They are descriptions that I have learned to be true.
St Andrew’s Cathedral School is a learning community that has all the attributes that you would expect from a leading independent school: top class academic results; a broad, challenging, well-crafted curriculum; a world-class music programme; a wide sport and co-curricular offering, including a uniquely exciting outdoor education programme; exceptionally well-qualified teaching staff; well-equipped facilities.
Yet, to only say those things, or to even dwell on them too much, wouldn’t give you true insight into what St Andrew’s Cathedral School is, or how your child (and your family) would be shaped by joining us.
- Because they matter, we give them a sense of belonging in a vibrant diverse community where everyone is valued.
- Because they matter, we help them understand how much progress they have made from their own starting point, rather than merely judging attainment.
- Because they matter, we enable them to find their unique passion for the long term, a contribution to the world that only they can make.
- Because they matter, we give them the opportunity to do hard things, so that they hone the best character they can, to take them the distance they need to go.
- Because they matter, we take time to celebrate, each step of the journey.
People told me that St Andrew’s Cathedral School students are open and honest – perhaps it’s because we take an honest look at their progress. They told me that they’re grounded – perhaps it’s because they know that they belong. They told me that they’re agile – perhaps it’s because they do hard things. They told me that they’re full of life – perhaps it’s because they celebrate generously.
One Year 12 student recently said, “St Andrew’s is a unique school because just about everything about it is unique.” He’s right. Come and see for yourself.