St Andrew's Cathedral School

Follow Us

Growing innovation in Year 12 Textiles

Share

Year 12 Textiles has hit the ground running… Or rather, growing.

A highly practical and technical subject, Textiles demands a lot from its students. Learning about everything from fabric colouration, to environmental sustainability, to current issues in the Australian Textiles Industry, to fibres and yarns, it is an exciting and creative subject. This expertise and creativity has been put to work exceptionally by three current Year 12 students, led by Textiles and Design Teacher, Ms Annie Zimmerman. We spoke to these students about their major works, what has inspired them and the personal stories behind their works.

Finnian Agnew is handcrafting fabric from wheat grass roots and mulberry tree bark. While many traditional fabrics are made from plants – cotton, linen, bamboo, etc, they are “woven” after many processes to produce fine cloth. Finnian has developed a template (designed in Adobe Illustrator and cut out on the laser cutter) that will direct the roots of the wheat grass to grow into a stable mesh producing a non-woven fabric. This fabric will then be made into apparel for Finnian’s final Major Textile Project.

“The most interesting part has been trying to develop my own fabric, which has been really challenging and has taken nine months of trial and error.”

Finnian Agnew, Year 12 textiles

“Patonga is very important to my family – my grandma lives there, and we visit most holidays, so I wished to turn my memories into something tangible,” Finnian said. “In my works, I wanted to represent the western fishing culture, while also showcasing the Aboriginal fishing culture. The most interesting part has been trying to develop my own fabric, which has been really challenging and has taken nine months of trial and error.”

Inspired by vintage designs and the movie Hunger Games, Peter Kelsey has designed an outfit for the character Effie Trinket. A protective full-face mask and stiffened “wing collar” will produce a futuristic couture juxtaposed against the vintage style dress. Peter will use Adobe Illustrator to design the flame effects on the collar and Solidworks, a computer-aided engineering and design application that will produce buttons themed for the outfit.

“In Textiles, we also learn about clothing factories, and the production of fast fashion. I wanted to explore this in my major work.”

peter kelsey, year 12 textiles

“I love The Hunger Games and I’m really excited about the new movie coming out with all new characters and costumes. I’m so intrigued by the dystopian themes and a society that is imbalanced by power and money, and how that comes out in their clothing,” said Peter. “I feel this is not too far off what’s happening today, and the disparity is jarring. Coming from a private city school like St Andrew’s, this is something I see every day. In Textiles, we also learn about clothing factories, and the production of fast fashion. I wanted to explore this in my major work.”

Inspired by the tragic bush fires Australia has suffered from recently and the French Designer, Jean Paul Gaultier’s Butterfly Couture collection, Oliver Hill has integrated these to evoke the notion of “re-birth, growth and new beginnings” – regrowth coming from the aftermath of the bushfire and the symbolism of the butterfly emerging into new life. Aptly, he has chosen a fabric with a “burn out” effect. Velvet is treated with a chemical that “burns” a pattern onto the surface. He is celebrating this new life by embellishing this “burnout” fabric with colour (the colours of fire), frills, gathers and ruffles. Eucalyptus leaves (nature’s arson) are embroidered and used as embellishment for his outfit.  A true celebration of a new life, evoking many emotions.

“Australia is known for its hazardous fires, and in light of that, I wanted to create something that honoured that”

Oliver hill, year 12 textiles

“Australia is known for its hazardous fires, and in light of that, I wanted to create something that honoured that,” Oliver said. “I didn’t even know how to sew or embroider before I started this subject, so I’ve learned so much.”

Reflecting on this exceptional subject, Ms Zimmermann said, “It’s a very communal experience, and these boys have such a thirst for knowledge.” With a background in sewing, Ms Zimmermann has been able to assist the students in bringing their big picture designs to life. She continued, “I am really proud to share the gifts God has given me with these students.”