St Andrew's Cathedral School

Follow Us

Dash Drury: Music mastery and the opportunity to lead

Share

Dash attributes his musical abilities to singing in the Cathedral choir as a chorister. “I learned invaluable lessons through the leadership opportunities that were granted to me, including being Head Chorister in Middle School and then Music Captain,” he said.

What was your favourite memory of the School?

The musicals. I joined in Year 6 and loved them immediately. I participated in the brilliant Junior School musical, playing the detective in an appropriation of the Goldilocks story. I adored the energy and the welcoming vibes.

How has your role as a chorister allowed you to expand your musical experiences?

I attribute a lot of my musical abilities to my experience singing in the Cathedral choir as a chorister. In my first year as a chorister, I went on the UK Music Tour. Everyone was so much older and they were so inspiring to me. We were singing and performing, there were cello players and rock bands … I just thought, “These people are my idols!” In 2023, I was on the Italy Tour (my third tour) as a senior student and realised I had come full circle.

“I feel honoured that the School had such highly developed and student-focused environmental, enterprise and innovation programmes.”

How do you think St Andrew’s Cathedral School has shaped you?

I learned invaluable lessons through the leadership opportunities that were granted to me, including being Head Chorister in Middle School and then Music Captain. I learned about leadership through humility; learning to lead as a friend of these immensely talented children.

You also have a passion for the environment…

Yes. One of my favourite experiences was a personal project where I made a sandwich from scratch. I harvested my own wheat and ground it into flour, I milked a cow to turn into cheese, I collected sea water and evaporated it into sea salt. It gave me a great understanding of the cultural supply chain, and I feel honoured that the School had such highly developed and student-focused environmental, enterprise and innovation programmes, which supported me to explore all my interests.

What is next for you?

I am interested in so many things, but possibly a double degree, Engineering and Arts, reflecting my favourite subjects of mathematics and Chinese. But music and drama will always play a big part in my life.