St Andrew's Cathedral School

Follow Us

Keira Sparshott: Learning to serve community

Share

St Andrew’s Cathedral School offered Keira Sparshott a strong sense of community – and she was inspired by that to serve, especially as School Captain. This was one of the experiences that helped her develop leadership and collaboration skills.

What did you enjoy most about St Andrew’s Cathedral School?

The sense of community. I came in Year 9, which was quite late, and a challenging year due to COVID. It was hard being a new student while we were online, but I found there was such a strong community, even virtually, which provided me with a sense of belonging. The pastoral care was wonderful – the teachers genuinely cared about their students. Not just academically, but how they grew as people.

What made you apply for a leadership position at the School?

It was all about giving back, especially because I felt really cared for when I came to the School. I wanted to serve, while also developing my own abilities as a leader. Being School Captain meant I needed to take on advice and feedback, and to learn valuable skills in collaboration. It was also incredible, to learn from Dr McGonigle’s expertise.

“It taught me a lot within my subjects, but more importantly, how to be a better critical, creative thinker within my subjects.”

What was a highlight of your time at St Andrew’s Cathedral School?

The Cape York immersion I undertook in Year 11 was amazing, learning about Indigenous communities, their day-to-day lives, their culture, why it’s so important and why it has persisted. As a true cultural immersion, no questions were off limits. We were able to delve into deep and important topics with members of the community through their lived experiences.

What did you enjoy most about the IB programme?

I really enjoyed the challenge. It taught me a lot within my subjects, but more importantly, how to be a better critical, creative thinker within my subjects.

What are your plans for the future?

I’d like to go to the University of Technology Sydney to study a double degree in Health Science and Creative Intelligence and Innovation. Then I’d like to specialise in nutrition, and develop my own company to work with children and make good nutrition accessible.