St Andrew's Cathedral School

Follow Us

Sam Boleslawski: Training brings aspirations to life

Share

Sam was Athletics Captain and said, “I always liked running, but I’d never trained properly before. Being at St Andrew’s Cathedral School, I had the opportunity to have high quality training, and then to go on to be offered this leadership role.”

What was your favourite memory at St Andrew’s Cathedral School?

I really enjoyed all our camps, particularly the 20-day ‘Kosi to Coast’ expedition. Right before you go up the mountain, there’s a beautiful lookout where you can see the whole valley, which was awe-inspiring and perspective-giving. That has stuck with me.

What subject did you enjoy most?

English. It began as something that was a bit of a struggle – particularly writing essays – and became something that was really interesting. I put that down to the knowledgeable and helpful teachers who made me enjoy the subject. Analysis of texts once felt forced, but it became logical and natural, and was such a big shift for me.

“I think success comes down to one thing … consistent effort.”

You captained our Athletics team – tell us about that.

I always liked running, but I’d never trained properly before. Being at St Andrew’s Cathedral School, I had the opportunity to have high quality training, and then to go on to be offered this leadership role. My favourite times were when we would go out to training with lots of friends across all year groups, and the sense of community. When I was in Year 7, I aspired to be just like the Year 12s, and I hoped to be that type of role model for the younger students in my final year.

How do you find balance and what do you think was the key to your academic success?

It was difficult, but I think it came down to consistent effort. When I reached Year 11, and we started getting a lot more homework, I simply put in the time and did everything that was assigned. Of course it got more difficult, but the hard work translated to an understanding of concepts, and ultimately, results.

What’s next for you?

I was originally thinking of Law, and now I’m considering Science, Arts or Business. Maybe an amalgamation of all!